The Rifles

Swift and Bold

The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) assisted in trained the 90th Battalion Rifles in Fort Q’Appelle SK in preparation for the Northwest Rebellion, which resulted in the Ninetieth adopting the rifle green uniforms with red facings as worn by the KRRC – the Royal Winnipeg Rifles retain the black out of red plumes of the KRRC to this day. This circumstance was a common occurrence in the Canadian Army’s infancy, and strong ties to the commonwealth led to alliances between Canadian Regiments and their British cousins.

In 1923, an official alliance between The Winnipeg Rifles and The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort’s Own) was granted by King George V, and lasted until 1966. By extension, the Regiment was also granted its first Colonel-in-Chief, Field Marshal His Royal Highness, The Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and Earl of Sussex, KG, KT, KP, GCB, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, GCVO, GBE, VD, ADC(P) to the King, Colonel-in-Chief, The Rifle Brigade.

After a major restructure of the British Army in 1966, the Royal Green Jackets replaced the Rifle Brigade and were allied with The Royal Winnipeg Rifles. The year 2007 saw another restructure which resulted in the amalgamation of many regiments, and gave birth to The Rifles. And so, another alliance has been formed, which the Little Black Devils are proud to promote and maintain.

Today, applications and maintenance of Regimental Alliances are governed by the Directorate of History and Heritage of behalf of the Canadian Forces, and can be approved solely by Her Majesty the Queen.

More details regarding The Rifles and all Regiments and Battalions from the past connected to The Royal Winnipeg Rifles can be found on the various links below.

The Rifles official British Army site

The Rifles, The Royal Green Jackets, The Light Division and The King’s Royal Rifle Corps Wikipedia pages containing further links relating the history and lineage of The Rifles, dating back to 1756.

Celer et Audax
(“Swift and Bold”, motto of The Rifles)