Click on The Brockville Rifles Regimental Crest for further information
A volunteer militia infantry company was formed in Brockville in 1862 by Captain Jacob Buell. In June of 1866 Irish-American Fenians raided across the Niagara River into Ontario and from Vermont into Quebec. Premier John A. Macdonald called out the militia soldiers to protect Canada. The Infantry Company and Brockville Rifles were called upon to protect Brockville.
The Regiment was re-designated the 41st Regiment Brockville Rifles on 8 May 1900. It provided volunteers to the Canadian contingents during the South African War 1899-1902.
During the First World War the Regiment contributed many drafts and individuals to the battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, including the 2nd Battalion (Eastern Ontario Battalion), the 21st Battalion (now the Princess of Wale’ Own Regiment, Kingston, Ontario), the 38th Battalion and most notably the 156th Battalion (Leeds and Grenville Battalion),
On March 1920 the Regiment was designated “The Brockville Rifles”.
The Brockville Rifles was not mobilized in 1939 and many Brocks volunteered for active service units in the First and Second Divisions. When the Third Division was formed in May of 1940, B Company of the Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders, was recruited exclusively from The Brockville Rifles. The Regiment was finally mobilized on 18 March 1942 as the 1st Battalion, The Brockville Rifles, part of the Eighth Division which served on both the east and west coasts of Canada.