image_pdf

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles perpetuates the 91st Winnipeg Battalion of Light Infantry, 1885-1888, as well as the 8th, 10th, 44th, 61st, 101st, 144th, 190th, 203rd, 222nd and 226th Battalions, Canadian Expeditionary Force.

The 90th “Winnipeg” Battalion of Rifles served in General Middleton’s column, and the 92nd Winnipeg Battalion of Light Infantry (1885-1888) in General Strange’s column in the campaign in North-West Canada in 1885. The 90th “Winnipeg” Battalion of Rifles contributed volunteers to the Canadian Contingents during the Boer War, 1899-1902.

During the First World War the 90th Regiment “Winnipeg Rifles” contributed to the 8th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) on its formation in September 1914, and later recruited for the 44th, 90th, 144th, 190th and 203rd Battalions, CEF. The 8th Battalion served in France and Flanders with the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division from 13 February 1915 until the Armistice. The 44th, 90th, 144th, 190th and 203rd Battalions provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. The Rifles also contributed two companies as reinforcements to the 27th Battalion, CEF. The 90th “Winnipeg Rifles”, not to be confused with the 90th Battalion, CEF, also contributed a sizeable reinforcement draft.

The 106th Regiment, Winnipeg Light Infantry contributed to the 10th Battalion, CEF on its formation in September 1914, and later recruited for the 61st, 101st, 222nd and 226th Battalions, CEF. The 10th Battalion served in France and Flanders with the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division from 14 February 1915 until the Armistice. The 61st, 101st, 222nd and 226th Battalions provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.

For service during the Second World War The Royal Winnipeg Rifles mobilized The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Canadian Active Service Force (CASF), on 24 May 1940. This unit embarked for the United Kingdom on 29 August 1941. On 6 June 1944 it landed in Normandy as a unit of the 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. The active unit was disbanded on 15 January 1946. The 3rd Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, mobilized on 12 May 1942, and served in Canada until disbanded on 15 August 1943. The 4th Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, mobilized on 1 June 1945 for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force, and was disbanded on 28 March 1946. A 2nd Battalion served in the Reserve Army

Details of The Winnipeg Light Infantry (MG) were placed on active service on 1 September 1939 for local protective duty. The Regiment mobilized The Winnipeg Light Infantry on 18 March 1942. This unit served in Canada until 3 January 1945 when it embarked for the United Kingdom and where it was disbanded on 10 January 1945. A 2nd Battalion served in the Reserve Army. The Winnipeg Light Infantry was amalgamated with The Royal Winnipeg Rifles on 30 June 1955.

The regiment now exists as a single battalion in the Canadian Armed Forces Militia.